Diary of yoga practice

Friday, July 15, 2005

I didn't do anything yesterday...

...which was the ultimate restraint. I also read a YJ article about sore hamstrings and their possible cause - which fit me to a tee. I've got flexible hamstrings, tight hips/groins, and not-very-strong leg muscles - all of which combine to make me sore where I'm sore. The key is restraint and rest from too much stretching and strengthening the hamstrings through poses and other kinds of workouts. So, I went to my usual class today and showed much restraint but still had a great time. I was moving kind of slow because of the monster margarita last night, but I still had a good workout. After yoga I went and worked on hamstring strength - I did a set of squats with the bar and then ran/walked 2.5 miles. I figured that the precor machine gives me cardio fitness but doesn't work the hamstrings as much as running does since the stride isn't extremely long for me on the precor. Oddly enough, they already feel better. I can also do more lunges and Warrior poses to strengthen them, so I do those a full strength.

Favorite pose: Shoulderstand, since it was one of the few I did today at full tilt *and* could get it right. It's about my best pose. Second favorite was Matsyasana or fish pose although I do the version with me sitting on my ankles, knees in front of me. That one felt good to restrain in - I usually try it up on my toes which is a lot harder to balance. I really worked on breathing properly in fish today.

Least favorite pose : Crow, since I didn't get it as I usually do. I need to get better at accepting daily changes in what happens and what doesn't in asana practice. I'm good at it for balance poses, but the ones I'm normally good at that get not-so-good one day still throw me off.

Focus for tomorrow: Restraint and breathing. I think that my breathing will fall more into place when I stop trying to push my body so hard...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home